Teachers and business owner who died of carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb brought light to those around them, families say
A tourist from Germany who died days after she stayed at an Airbnb in Mexico City was exposed to carbon monoxide, according to a new report.
Melinda Wiehn, 55, of Germany, was the third foreign tourist who died in a month in the northern Mexican city. She apparently died after being exposed to carbon monoxide and died after being attended by medical professionals, according to a CNN report.
The tourist died on Thursday after suffering a pre-existing condition, a Mexican hospital said. The woman had sought medical treatment for chronic myeloid leukemia in August, but the treatment was unsuccessful.
“We are informed that the death occurs due to carbon monoxide poisoning. We have not yet been able to determine the exact cause of death,” said Fernando Alvarado, the director of the National Suicide Center of Mexico.
Wiehn, whose parents live in Germany, was on her way to visit the town of San Cristobal del Tezal, a touristic getaway in the border city of Nuevo Laredo, when she died.
On Friday, Wiehn’s father posted a message on Facebook, telling that his daughter has died by carbon monoxide poisoning. He also asked for prayers.
“She was born and raised to be independent. She was a talented woman with a dream in her eyes,” Wiehn’s father wrote in the post. “She knew what they say in Germany.
“Life is a fight and one of the hardest ones in life is that you lose your battle against a disease that you can’t beat. My daughter was only 29 years old. It kills you. I am asking everyone to pray for her. I will never be able to find what the reason was, when the doctors say that was the most likely cause. I will search until I find out who is guilty of murder.”
The mother of Wiehn also spoke